Strasbourg, 23.09.2009 – A delegation of the Council of Europe's Committee
for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
(CPT) recently carried out a two-week visit to Ukraine. The visit, which began
on 9 September 2009, was the CPT’s fifth periodic visit to this country.
The CPT’s delegation assessed progress made since the previous periodic visit in 2005 and the extent to which the Committee’s recommendations have been implemented, in particular in the areas of initial detention by Internal Affairs bodies, imprisonment, detention of foreign nationals under aliens legislation, and psychiatry.
During the visit, the delegation met Mr Oleksandr GALINSKYI, Head of the State Department on Enforcement of Sentences, and held consultations with senior officials from that Department as well as from the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Health, the State Border Service, the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Office of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Human Rights. Meetings were also held with representatives of the UNHCR Regional Representation in Kyiv, the Delegation of the Commission of the European Union to Ukraine, the Office of the OSCE Project Co-Ordinator, the Mission of the International Organisation for Migration, and members of several non-governmental organisations.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Ukrainian authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Wolfgang HEINZ (German), Head of
- Tim DALTON (Irish)
- Latif HÜSEYNOV (Azerbaijani)
- Marzena KSEL (Polish)
- Elena SEREDA (Russian)
- George TUGUSHI (Georgian).
They were supported by Petya NESTOROVA (Head of Division), Johan FRIESTEDT and Victor MUNTEANU of the CPT's Secretariat, and assisted by Clive MEUX, consultant forensic psychiatrist, Oxford (United Kingdom).
The delegation visited the following places:
Establishments under the Ministry of Internal Affairs
Darnitske District Directorate of Internal Affairs, Kyiv
- Shevchenkivske District Directorate of Internal Affairs, Kyiv
- Territorial Militia Sub-Division No. 1 (TVM-1) of the Obolonske District Directorate of Internal Affairs, Kyiv
- City Division of Internal Affairs, Boryspil
- City Division of Internal Affairs, Chernihiv
- Desnyanskyi District Division of Internal Affairs, Chernihiv
- Novozavodskyi District Division of Internal Affairs, Chernihiv
- Dniprovskyi District Division of Internal Affairs, Dniprodzerzhinsk
- Amur-Nizhnodniprovskyi District Division of Internal Affairs, Dnipropetrovsk
- Industrialnyi District Division of Internal Affairs, Dnipropetrovsk
- Zhovtnevyi District Division of Internal Affairs, Dnipropetrovsk
- Leninskyi District Division of Internal Affairs, Luhansk
- Zhovtnevyi District Division of Internal Affairs and Municipal Militia Sub-Division No. 1 (MVM-1), Luhansk
- City Division of Internal Affairs, Slavutich
Temporary Detention Isolators (ITTs) at:
- Reception and Distribution Centre for vagrants, Luhansk
Temporary Accommodation Centre for illegal immigrants (PTP)
Establishments under the State Department on Enforcement of Sentences
Dnipropetrovsk pre-trial establishment (SIZO) (with emphasis on newly arrived
and life-sentenced prisoners)
- Kyiv SIZO
- Buchansk Colony No. 85, Gostomel
- Dnipropetrovsk Colony No. 89
- Slovyanoserbsk Colony No. 60, Lozivske
In addition, the delegation interviewed prisoners at Luhansk SIZO who had
recently been transferred from Internal Affairs establishments.
Establishments under the State Border Service
- Kyiv International Airport
Special Premises (SP), Boryspil
- Temporary Holding Facility (PTT) at the Chernihiv Border Service Detachment
Establishments under the Ministry of Health
- National High Security
Psychiatric Hospital, Dnipropetrovsk
Establishments under the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy
Psychoneurological Internat for women, Kyiv
- Secure ward at Kyiv Municipal
Clinical Emergency Hospital.
|Contact us | Press | www.cpt.coe.int|