Strasbourg, 22.06.2009 – A delegation of the Council of Europe's Committee
for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
(CPT) recently carried out a ten-day visit to Sweden. The visit, which began on
9 June 2009, was the CPT’s fourth periodic visit to this country.
The CPT’s delegation reviewed measures taken by the Swedish authorities in response to recommendations made by the Committee after previous visits. Particular attention was paid to the safeguards offered to persons detained by the police, the restrictions imposed on remand prisoners, and the situation of sentenced prisoners held under conditions of isolation and in high-security units. The conditions of detention of foreign nationals held in immigration centres and in prisons were also examined.
During the visit, the CPT’s delegation met Tobias BILLSTRÖM, Minister for Migration and Asylum Policy, Ragnwi MARCELIND, State Secretary at the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs, Lars NYLÉN, Director General of the National Prison and Probation Service, and Erna ZELMAN, Director General of the National Board of Forensic Medicine. It also held consultations with senior officials from the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the National Police Board, the National Board of Institutional Care, the National Board of Health and Welfare, and the Swedish Migration Board. The delegation also met Mats MELIN, Kerstin ANDRÉ and Cecilia NORDENFELT, Parliamentary Ombudsmen.
Further, discussions were held with the UNHCR Regional Office for the Baltic and Nordic countries in Stockholm and with members of non-governmental organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Swedish authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Pétur HAUKSSON (Icelander), 2nd Vice President of the CPT and Head of delegation
- Ömer ATALAR (Turkish)
- Tim DALTON (Irish)
- Isolde KIEBER (Liechtensteiner)
- Jørgen Worsaae RASMUSSEN (Danish).
They were supported by Petya NESTOROVA (Head of Division), Isabelle SERVOZ-GALLUCCI and Victor MUNTEANU of the CPT's Secretariat, and assisted by two experts: Peter GREEN, forensic physician, Metropolitan Police Service and St. George’s Hospital, London, United Kingdom, and Rod MORGAN, Professor of criminal justice, University of Bristol, United Kingdom.
The delegation visited the following places:
- Gävle Police Department
- Police detention facility in Mölndal, Västra Götaland
- Örebro Police Department
- City Norrmalm Police Department, Stockholm
- Klara Police Station (T-Centralen), Stockholm
- Söderort Police Department (Hägersten), Stockholm
- Sollentuna Police Department, Stockholm
- Gävle Remand Prison
- Gothenburg Remand Prison
- Hall Prison
- Kronoberg Remand Prison (immigration detainees)
- Kumla Prison
Migration Board establishments
- Migration Board detention centre, Gävle
- Migration Board detention centre, Märsta
- Department for Forensic Psychiatric Assessment, Huddinge (Stockholm)
- Psychiatric Clinic Sydväst, Huddinge (departments for compulsory care and persons in need of in-patient care)
- Fagareds Home for Young Persons, Lindome.