06.02.2013 - A delegation of the Council of Europe's Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) carried out a visit to San Marino from 29 January to 1 February 2013. It was the Committee's fourth periodic visit to San Marino.
During the visit, the delegation followed up the recommendations made by the CPT after previous visits. In this context, a particular attention was paid to conditions of detention at San Marino Prison, safeguards offered to persons detained by law enforcement agencies as well as to psychiatric patients subject to “obligatory medical treatment” (TSO). The delegation also visited two homes for the elderly.
In the course of the visit, the delegation held consultations with Mr Valentini PASQUALE, Minister for Foreign and Political Affairs, Mr Giancarlo VENTURINI, Minister for the Interior and Justice, and Mr Francesco MUSSONI, Minister for Health, Social Security and Family. The delegation also met senior officials from the relevant Ministries as well as representatives of the judicial authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Xavier RONSIN, Head of delegation (French),
- Andreana ESPOSITO (Italian),
- Nadia POLNAREVA (Bulgarian).
They were supported by Julien ATTUIL-KAYSER of the CPT's Secretariat, and assisted by an expert, Daniel GLEZER, psychiatrist, former Head of Prison Psychiatry at the Regional Medical Psychological Department at "les Baumettes" Prison, Marseille, France.
The delegation visited the following places:
- San Marino Prison
- Headquarters of the Gendarmerie
- Headquarters of the Police
- Rock’s Guard Central Office, Dogana
- Mental Health Service of the General Hospital of San Marino
- Therapeutic apartment “Filo di Arianna”
- Home for the Elderly of the Republic of San Marino
- “La Fiorina” Home for the Elderly.
|Contact us | Press | www.cpt.coe.int|