Strasbourg, 07.06.2012 – A delegation of the Council of Europe's Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) carried out a periodic visit to the Russian Federation from 21 May to 4 June 2012.
During the visit, the CPT’s delegation assessed progress made since previous visits and in particular the extent to which the Committee’s recommendations have been implemented in the areas of police custody and pre-trial detention. The delegation also visited a closed-type prison (t’yurma), in Vladimir region, and paid a follow-up visit to Yagul Strict-Regime Colony No. 1 in the Republic of Udmurtia.
The CPT’s delegation met Aleksandr GOROVOY, First Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs, Aleksandr SMIRNOV, Deputy Minister of Justice, and Aleksandr BASTRYKIN, Chairman of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation. It also had consultations with senior officials from the various ministries and agencies concerned, including the General Prosecution Service.
The delegation had meetings with representatives of the Office of the Human Rights Commissioner of the Russian Federation. It also had discussions with members of the Council of the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation, and held consultations with members of the Public Monitoring Commissions for the city of Moscow and Moscow region, Saint Petersburg and Leningrad region, the Republics of Bashkortostan, Tatarstan and Udmurtia as well as for Vladimir region. In addition, meetings were held with representatives of several non-governmental organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT, namely the All-Russian Public Movement “For Human Rights”, the Committee Against Torture, the Moscow Centre for Prison Reform and the Moscow Helsinki Group.
At the end of the visit, the delegation
presented its preliminary observations to the Russian federal authorities in
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Lətif HÜSEYNOV
(Azerbaijani), President of the Committee (Head of delegation)
- Djordje ALEMPIJEVIĆ (Serbian)
- Marija DEFINIS GOJANOVIĆ (Croatian)
- Marzena KSEL (Polish)
- James McMANUS (British)
- Nadia POLNAREVA (Bulgarian).
They were supported by Borys WÓDZ, Head of Division, and Johan FRIESTEDT, of the CPT’s Secretariat, and assisted by Michael KELLETT, former Detective Chief Inspector in the Lancashire Constabulary (United Kingdom).
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
Babushkinskyi District Police Division, northern-eastern administrative
- Bibirevo District Police Division, northern-eastern administrative district, Moscow
Division No. 10, Nevskyi district, Saint Petersburg
- Police Division No. 13, Krasnogvardeyskyi district, Saint Petersburg
- Police Division No. 15, Kalininskyi district, Saint Petersburg
- Police Division No. 22, Krasnogvardeyskyi district, Saint Petersburg
- Petrogradskyi District Temporary Detention Facility (IVS), Saint Petersburg
- Krasnogvardeyskyi District IVS, Saint Petersburg
Republic of Bashkortostan
Division No. 4, Leninskyi district, Ufa
- Police Division No. 5, Ordzhonikidzerskyi district, Ufa
- IVS of Police Division No. 5, Ufa
- IVS of Ufa Internal Affairs Directorate
- Special Reception Centre for Persons under Administrative Arrest, Ufa
- Temporary Detention Centre for Juvenile Offenders, Ufa
Republic of Tatarstan
Division No. 9 (former “Dalnyi” Police Division), Privolzhskyi district, Kazan
- “Promyshlennyi” Police Division No. 10, Privolzhskyi district, Kazan
- Anti-Organised Crime Division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Tatarstan, Kazan
- IVS No. 1 of Kazan Internal Affairs Directorate
- IVS No. 2 of Kazan Internal Affairs Directorate
Republic of Udmurtia
Reception Centre for Persons under Administrative Arrest, Izhevsk
- Police Division No. 3, Pervomayskyi district, Izhevsk
- IVS, Gus-Khrustalnyi
- IVS, Vladimir
establishment (SIZO) No. 4 (“Medved”), Moscow
- SIZO No. 1 (“Kresty”), Saint Petersburg
- Federal-purpose SIZO No. 3, Saint Petersburg
- SIZO No. 1, Kazan
- SIZO No. 1, Ufa
- Closed-Type Prison No. 2 (“Vladimirskyi Tsentral”), including the pre-trial unit (PFRSI) located on its premises, Vladimir
- Strict-Regime Colony No. 1, including the PFRSI located on its premises, Yagul.
The delegation also visited the construction site of the future “Kresty 2” SIZO near Saint Petersburg.
|Contact us | Press | www.cpt.coe.int|