Strasbourg, 18.02.2010 - A delegation of the Council of Europe's Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) recently carried out an 11-day visit to Georgia. The visit, which began on 5 February 2010, was the CPTĺs fourth periodic visit to Georgia.
During the visit, the delegation assessed progress made since the previous periodic visit in 2007 and the extent to which the CPTĺs recommendations have been implemented, in particular in the areas of initial detention by the police, imprisonment and psychiatry. Further, the delegation visited for the first time in Georgia a social care institution.
In the course of the visit, the CPTĺs delegation held consultations with Khatuna KALMAKHELIDZE, Minister of Corrections and Legal Assistance, Tinatin BURJALIANI, Deputy Minister of Justice, Ekaterine ZGULADZE, Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs, and Irakli GIORGOBIANI, Deputy Minister of Labour, Health and Social Affairs, as well as with other senior Government officials. It also met with Tata KHUNTSARIA, Deputy Public Defender of Georgia, and Natia IMNADZE, Head of the Prevention and Monitoring Department. Further, discussions were held with members of non-governmental and international organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Georgian authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Tim DALTON (Irish), Head of delegation
- Haritini DIPLA (Greek)
- Latif HUSEYNOV (Azerbaijani)
- Marzena KSEL (Polish)
- Marc NEVE (Belgian)
- Jean-Pierre RESTELLINI (Swiss).
They were supported by Petya NESTOROVA (Head of Division) and Isabelle SERVOZ-GALLUCCI of the CPT's Secretariat, and assisted by Catherine PAULET, psychiatrist, Head of the Regional Medical and Psychological Service, Baumettes Prison, Marseilles, France (expert).
The delegation visited the following places:
Establishments under the Ministry of Internal Affairs
- Temporary detention isolator, Kutaisi
- Temporary detention isolator, Mtskheta
- Temporary detention isolator No. 1, Tbilisi
- Temporary detention isolator No. 2, Tbilisi
- Isani-Samgori District Division of Internal Affairs, Tbilisi
- 4th department of Didube-Chugureti District Division of Internal Affairs, Tbilisi
- Tbilisi Airport Border Police detention facility
- Temporary detention isolator, Zestaphoni
- Penitentiary establishment No. 7 in Ksani
- Penitentiary establishment No. 8 in Geguti
- Prison No. 7 in Tbilisi
- Prison No. 8 in Gldani (Tbilisi)
- Medical establishment for prisoners, Gldani (Tbilisi)
Establishments under the Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Affairs
- Asatiani Psychiatric Institute, Tbilisi
- Institution for mentally and physically disabled people, Dzevri
 Fulfilling the functions of National Preventive Mechanism in accordance with the Optional Protocol to the UN Convention against Torture (OPCAT).