Strasbourg, 13.12.2012 - A delegation of the Council of Europe's Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) recently completed a seven-day visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina. The visit, which began on 5 December 2012, was the CPTís sixth visit to this country.
The main objective of the visit was to examine the treatment of persons detained by law enforcement agencies in the Republika Srpska, and to evaluate the progress made in implementing the recommendations contained in the CPTís report on the 2011 periodic visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina.
In the course of the visit, the CPTís delegation held consultations with Radmila Mitrović, State Deputy Minister of Human Rights and Refugees, and in the Republika Srpska with Stanislav Čađo, Minister of the Interior, Pero Dunjić, Assistant Minister of Justice, Gojko Vasić, Director of Police and Darko Čulum, Director of Police Administration. It also met Svetlana Brković, Deputy Prosecutor General of the Republika Srpska.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the authorities of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Mykola Gnatovskyy, Head of Delegation (Ukrainian)
- Dan Dermengiu (Romanian)
- Branka Zobec Hrastar (Slovenian).
They were supported by Hugh Chetwynd (Head of Division), and Petr HnŠtŪk of the CPT's Secretariat.
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
- Banja Luka Prison (remand section)
- Bijeljina Prison
- Doboj Prison (remand section)
- Istočno Sarajevo Prison (remand section)
- Banja Luka Central Police Station
- Bijeljina Police Station
- Doboj Police Station
- Gradiöka Police Station
- Istočno Sarajevo Police Station
- Prnjavor Police Station
- Holding cells at Banja Luka District Prosecutorís Office
- Holding cells at Banja Luka Special Prosecutorís Office for Organised Crime
- Holding cells at Doboj District Prosecutorís Office
- Holding cells at Banja Luka District Court
- Holding cells at Doboj District Court
- Holding cells at Supreme Court of Republika Srpska, Banja Luka.