Strasbourg, 21.12.2012 – A delegation of the Council of Europe's Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) recently carried out an eight-day visit to Azerbaijan, starting on 13 December 2012.
The main objective of the visit was to review the implementation of recommendations made after previous visits concerning the treatment of persons detained by law enforcement agencies.
The delegation held consultations with Fikrat MAMMADOV, Minister of Justice, Oruj ZALOV, Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs, and Rustam USUBOV, first deputy Prosecutor General, as well as with other senior officials from the Internal Affairs and Justice Ministries and from the Prosecutor General's Office. In addition, the delegation met Vugar MAHARAMMOV, Head of the National Preventive Mechanism (NPM), as well as representatives of the Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsman).
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Azerbaijani authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
RESTELLINI (Swiss), Acting 2nd Vice-President of the CPT, Head of delegation
- Djordje ALEMPIJEVIĆ (Serbian),
- Jari PIRJOLA (Finnish).
They were supported by Trevor STEVENS, Executive Secretary of the CPT and Isabelle SERVOZ-GALLUCCI, from the CPT’s Secretariat, and assisted by Eric SVANIDZE, former Head of the International Department of the Prosecutor General’s Office of Georgia.
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
Establishments under the Ministry of Internal Affairs
facility of the Main Department for Combating Organised Crime, Baku
- Main Transport Police Department, Baku
- Nasimi District Police Department and temporary detention facility, Baku
- Police station No. 19, Nasimi District, Baku
- Police station No. 21, Nasimi District, Baku
- Police station No. 23, Nisami District, Baku
- Police station No. 37 and temporary detention facility, Khatai district, Baku
- Sabunchu District Police Department and temporary detention facility, Baku
- Sumgayit City police station and temporary detention facility
- Police station No. 1, Sumgayit
Establishments under the authority of the Ministry of Justice
- Baku pre-trial detention facility
- Pre-trial detention facility No.3, Shuvalan
Establishments under the authority of the Ministry of National Security- Investigative isolator and temporary detention facility, Baku
|Contact us | Press | www.cpt.coe.int|